Thursday, February 25, 2010

Another reason I love Sandra Lee...

She gives you recipes to use with your leftovers! I swear, the woman is brilliant.
Tonight, I wasn't so lucky; no leftover beef stew to make shepard's pie out of. Instead, I chose to use Rachel Rays "easy shepards pie". It was far from easy! It's a good thing I'm confident enough in my culinary skills to improvise, take several recipes and make my own.

Shepard's Pie
2 lbs ground beed, browned and drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups low sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons flour
1 small onion, diced
2 cups frozen peas and carrots (I buy the bag already mixed)
6 large Yukon potatoes, pealed, cut, and boiled.
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 cup milk
1tablespoon chopped garlic

combine the beef broth, oninon, flour and soup. Heat and stir over med-high heat until hot and slightly thickened.
combine meat, gravy, and veggies in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
mash potatoes and mix in the egg yolk, cream cheese, garlic, and milk (add more milk if necessary)
spread over the meat mixture
broil 5-7 minutes, until the potatoes are browned.

No comments: